Pet owners face a big dilemma when it comes to cleaning; you need a clean, fresh smelling home, but the products made for cleaning pose a hazard for your pets. Opting for more natural methods and securing items used for cleaning can help protect your pet and ensure that he can’t get his paws on something dangerous.
Eliminate Dangerous Chemicals
Chemicals and cleaning supplies you would never consider eating could be tempting – or even delicious – to your pet. You may already know that antifreeze, commonly found in the garage, is toxic and tempting for pets, but the items you use to clean your home will have similar appeal. Counter top cleaners and frequently used cleaning products should be non-toxic brands – or even home-made. White vinegar can take the place of more toxic window cleaner and even be used to freshen toilets (using a toxic cleaner in the toilet could be dangerous if your dog sneaks drinks in the bathroom).
Some common substitutes for more hazardous cleaning supplies include:
- Vinegar: Replace countertop, window and glass cleaner
- Baking Soda: Eliminate odors, use as a scrub for countertops and other surfaces
- Salt: Use to absorb spills quickly
- Club soda: pour on stains or spills, from red wine to blood, to eliminate
Secure Cleaning Supplies
You’d never think of chewing up a sponge or towel used to clean up a kitchen mess, but your dog might. Steel pads, cloth towels and other items used to clean up food spills need to be secured or thrown away; your pet could consume these non-edibles, simply because they taste like people food.
The more chemicals you remove from your home, the better it will be for your family, including your pet. If you suspect your pet has ingested a cleaning supply or related item, contact us right away to get help for this common pet emergency.