The plants you use to beautify your home, the food you enjoy each day and the medicine you take to get you through the day (or asleep at night) can also be hazardous for your pets; watch out for these common toxins that may be lurking in your home:

Houseplants

They may add color and charm to your home, but many houseplants are toxic to your pets; don’t allow your pet to nibble on any of these varieties:

  • Aloe
  • Flowers that grow from bulbs, including daffodil and iris
  • Sago palm
  • Lilies
  • Poinsettia

White lily flowers with green grass background

Get the full list of toxic plants from the Humane Society and either remove them from your home or place them in a spot your dog or cat does not have access to.

Your Food

The foods you eat and enjoy could harm your pet if he gets into them; you’ll need to be vigilant not only while dining but while cooking and storing food as well if you want your pet to stay safe. According to the ASPCA some common “people foods” that are hazardous for cats and dogs include:

  • Avocado, Grapes, Citrus and Coconut – all parts including peels, seeds and fruit
  • Caffeine including coffee pods and tea bags
  • Chocolate of all types, particularly baking or dark varieties
  • Artificial sweetener
  • Onions, chives and garlic

Dark chocolate

Make sure you not only store and eat these foods away from your pets, but that you secure the trash when you are done; your dog could still nose through the trashcan in search of a tasty treat.

Your Medication

Over the counter (OTC) or prescription medication you take could be toxic to your pet, according to the American Veterinary Medicine Association. Never give your pet any medication unless you have been directed to do so, and be sure to pick up and properly dispose of any dropped pills or spilled medication.  Pain relievers like Aleve (Naprosyn), antidepressants like Cymbalta and medications designed to combat insomnia are all hazardous to your pet and should be kept away from pets.

You do not need to wait for symptoms to appear – if your pet has ingested a hazardous food, plant or medicine, he needs to be seen right away.  If you suspect your pet has encountered or consumed any one of these hazards, call our hospital right away for help

CategoryUncategorized

2014 © Banning Vet | Built by Whitefrog

Give Us a Call        (951) 849-3864 FAX (951) 849-5956